Presque Isle North Pier Light (Stats)


1812, 1819, 1830, 1858, 1882, 1900, 1940 & 1995

Erie, Pennsylvania


STATS

Years of Operation: 1819 to Present
Construction Cost: $00,000 on March 13th 1812 (Deeded 50 Acres of Land)
      $00,000 in 1819 (Building)
      $00,000 in 1830 (Pierhead Light)
                            $00,000 in 1858 (Building)
                            $00,000 in 1882 (Building)
                            $00,000 in 1840 (Building)
                            $00,000 in 1900 (Building Repairs)
Administered by: United States Lighthouse Service from 1858 to 1906         
                         United States Lighthouse Coast Guard from 1906 to Present
                         Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks from ? to Present
Lake Erie Elevation: 42 feet above sea level
Tower Height: 26.6 feet from 1830 to 1858
34 feet from 1858 to 1899
Light Sources: 3 Fountain Lamps from 1838 to 1858
                        Oil Vapor Lamps from 1858 to ?
 Battery Solar Powered Panel from 1995 to Present
Lens: 6th Order (Catadioptric) Fresnel Lens from 1830 to 1858
         4th Order (Catadioptric) Fresnel Len from 1858 to 1995
         300-Millimeter Plastic Lens from 1995 to Present
Lens Manufacturer: L. Sautter [Cie] and Company from 1830 to 1899
Light Visibility Range:                  miles
Flashing Sequence: Fixed White from 1830 to 1899
      Fixed Red Flashing Light from 1995 to Present
Light Focal Plane: 38 feet above the lake from 1830 to 1858
    73 feet above the lake from 1858 to 1899
    40 feet above the lake from 1909 to Present
Automated: 1940

Fog Signal

Years of Operation: 1830 to Present
Powered by:
Fog Signal Manufacturer: 1 ½ hour Steven Automatic Apparatus
Fog Signal Tone: Bell from 1830 to Present
    Horn from ? to ?
                            Radio Beacon from ? to Present
Sound Sequence: 1 blow every 10 seconds from ? to ?
    12 seconds (Automatic) from 1940 to Present
Fog Horn Operation:
Fog Horn Range:        miles

Information


In 1830 the original Pierhead was constructed of wood and by 1857 swept away by sailing vessel. There was a 16 foot by 5 foot wide Yawl boat onsite. The 1 ½ story keeper’s quarters measuring 24 feet by 22 feet on the main floor and 20 feet by 16 feet second story. The dwelling for the keepers was located at the lifesaving station. A ten inch vitrified pipe was sunk in cellar of the dwelling under the sink and was connected with 1 ¼ inch pipe to new cistern pump mounted on the sink. This was done in order to secure softer water for domestic purposes. Over its long standing history the tower has moved 190 feet from its original location in 1882 and 509 feet in 1940. Presque Isle North Pier lens was removed in 1995 and was sent to the Erie Maritime Museum. Latitude: 42 deg. 09’ 18” North, Longitude: -80 deg. 04’ 23” West.
Post a Comment