On the 4th day of May 1882, Congress authorized a lifesaving station be constructed on the east side of Trail Creek near the mouth of Lake Michigan near Michigan City, Indiana. The lifesaving station went operational in April of 1889. The purpose of this station was to monitor the ships traveling long Lake Michigan and help the locals in their time of need. The Lifesaving Service appointed Captain Henry Finch as the keeper-in charge of “Michigan City Lifesaving Station.” Keeper Finch led a meager but competent six surfmen that would be noted in the annuals of history and heroism. Local town’s people would gather and watch the station crew drill near the harbor at Trail Creek.
- William E. Preston, Keeper from 1921 to 1922
- Berger Benson, Keeper from 1922 to 1925
- Sigval A. Johnson, Keeper from 1915 to 1928